When the knights of the Order of St. John came to Malta in 1530, they settled down in the harbour hamlet called Il- Birgu. Here they built their first hospital, Auberges and also fortifications as they expected the Ottomans to attack. The Ottomans attacked in 1565, the knights won the siege which remained known in history as The Great Siege. After the victory, the town was renamed Vittoriosa, the Victorious City. In 1571 the Knights moved to Valletta, the new city which they themselves had built.
This walking tour of Valletta and Vittoriosa (Birgu) unfolds the rich history of these two maritime towns.
- Meet your guide at the Parliament in Valletta or at the lobby of your Valletta hotel.
- Guided tour of Valletta’s historic centre.
- Descend with the lift from the Upper Barrakka Gardens to Three Cities – Valletta ferry.
- Ferry crossing and guided tour in Vittoriosa.
- The tour finishes in Valletta or you can opt to stay longer in the Three Cities.
Duration: 4.5 to 5 hours from the agreed meeting time.
Stress level: The terrain is easy, but this tour involves a considerable amount of walking.
To make a booking or for more information send an email on email@example.com, call or text on 0035699318808 or fill in the form below: